Tuesday, September 1, 2009

American Youth

With issues ranging from gay rights to healthcare, it seems like some people are so blindly stubborn in their beliefs that if they can’t win the argument, or are proven wrong, their next step is to do everything in their power to discredit whomever they are having a debate with. After a few comments back and forth about whatever issue we are debating, the issue quickly changes from the main issue to, “You spelled ‘tragedy’ wrong, don’t you know anything?” or “Hey fatty, why don’t you stuff a donut in it!” and my favorite and most frequent one “You’re very young, you know nothing about…”.

When it comes to any debate I’m having (usually online) the subject of my age usually always comes up. Instead of acknowledging that I have actually studied the subjects I debate, or that I may have a point about an issue, I’ll get a response like, “You’re only 26? Go get my Latte before I have you fired!”. It seems like anywhere there is a young person, there always seems to be doubt about their intelligence or readiness to handle the job.

I’ve watch a town hall meeting on healthcare where people dramatically scream about the burden healthcare reform would be on our children, fair enough. Yet, when a very young veteran comes to the microphone to urge the congressmen to push for the reform, he get’s booed. When it comes to the importance of the future of the United States, is youth really a crutch? Are we doomed to be dismissed as infants who don’t know anything and just need to shut up and let the older folk handle these issues?

I think the youth of this nation have been greatly underestimated. I’ve seen young Americans voice out strong opinions backed by facts that they’ve researched themselves, only to be dismissed as young and idealistic. Even Meghan McCain, who, I’m sure knows a thing or two about politics, is overlooked and often attacked by members of her own party.

The problem I have with being attacked for my youth is that most of these issues are ones that will greatly affect my future. With the world changing ever so quickly, nobody understands changing trends more then the youth. But when the youth as an age group are ignored, eventually the need for change becomes more imperative, by the time the issue is finally resolved, it is usually at great cost.

I believe a young voice brings with it a fresh perspective of what needs to be done to make this country a better. Are we idealistic? Of course, however, it’s well known throughout history that some ideas we thought at one point to be unrealistic, can become reality. From landing on the moon, to escalators, we’ve proven over and over that anything is possible.

I also believe that it is only a matter of time before these changes will take place, as the youth slowly begin to creep into public office, the face of America will change. With the Internet innovating social networking and information gathering, it will be easier to debunk lies and half truths. Eventually we’ll look at today’s issues, the same way we look at past issues, with optimism that our country is continuously moving on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment